Sunday, October 17, 2010

Prepared to Vanquish Fires!

Day 2 in Fairbanks: a very toasty 38 degrees. The apartment complex staff that I met yesterday was rather...eccentric. When I explained that I was scheduled to move in by my locums agency, she looked at me suspiciously and commanded, "Go stand over there", pointing to the farthest corner of the room as if I were a domesticated but still slightly dangerous grizzly bear that needed a time-out. I signed a ton of paperwork as she went over a zillion rules & regulations I was LEGALLY required to follow.

Most exciting part of the day: testing the fire extinguisher in my apartment (one of the LEGAL requirements). I released the fire extinguisher from its wall mount, pulled the pin and sprayed into the kitchen sink, releasing a high pressure gush of yellow powder which immediately coated the entire kitchen. Since I am LEGALLY required to NOT open the windows between the months of October and May (for fear of the entire apartment freezing into a solid cube of ice?), I had to settle for the fan above the stove.

No comments: