Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ever File An L&I Claim for Someone Kicked By A Cow?

A lovely lady was milking one of her cows on Sunday when the cow became startled and kicked her in the face.  That's right, my patient was sucker punched by her very own quadruped ruminant.  Filling out L&I forms for patients who get injured on the job is tremendously tedious, but it becomes ever so much more delightful when writing a narrative description of a cow assailant.  Anyone know if there is an official ICD-9 code for injuries sustained from being kicked by a cow?  The facial swelling has improved significantly, but my patient still has a bit of a black eye.  I decided to call it a "periorbital contusion" (ICD-9 code 921.1) and to be extra appreciative of the milk I'm having with my chocolate chip cookies.

No comments: