Friday, September 30, 2011

Hoh Hoh Hoh

The Hoh Rain Forest, which is part of the Olympic National Park, is truly a wonder of the Pacific Northwest.  One of just a few temperate rain forests in the U.S., it encompasses 24 miles of low elevation forest along the Hoh River, and the average annual precipitation is an astonishing 12 to 14 feet of rain.
There are a couple of short trails that loop through the forest near the visitor's center (one of which was closed because the park rangers didn't want a family of Roosevelt elks to be disturbed), as well as the more hardcore 17 mile Hoh River Trail which leads to Glacier Meadows near Mount Olympus.
Maybe because of my lack of height, I find myself entranced by the intricate network of intertwined tree roots, especially evident in seedlings that begin their growth on top of fallen logs.
The high humidity, deep soil and mild temperatures contribute to the astounding size of the trees.  I have the sneaking suspicion that if I fell down in the rain forest, moss would immediately start growing on me.
I would probably have to call for help from this phone booth...

No comments: