Thursday, June 30, 2011

Implanon Is My New Best Friend

Listen up, teenage girls of the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta region: birth control is a really, really useful thing!    Yes, I am talking to you, teenage primip being induced at 42 + 1/7 wks for postdates and oligohydramnios, crying between pushes.  And you too, 18-yr-old girl admitted for a septic abortion at 8 weeks EGA, getting IV doxycycline and unasyn.

Last night, I had a very long talk with the 18-yr-old about the pros and cons of all the birth control methods available in the universe and gave her a detailed educational handout with tiny pictures of everything we discussed.  This morning, she told the nurse, "I want my birth control.  When can I have it?".  Asked which method she had chosen, she replied, "The poke."  Poking could describe either the depo provera injection that's good for 3 months, or the implanon implants that are good for 3 years.  Luckily, she chose the fantastically low maintenance implanon which was inserted posthaste just before she was discharged home.

No comments: