Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Instant Partner Notification

Second rotation as an intern: ED
Lesson learned: Some of us need no prompting to talk to our partners

Patient in the emergency department: a young woman with RUQ pain, normal labs, normal ultrasound, and trichomonas found incidentally on UA. After explaining that she has trichomonas, that trich is an STI, and that she should tell her sexual partner so he can get treated too, I'm about to do a pelvic exam when she suddenly gets up, walks over to the phone with her IV trailing behind her, and starts dialing with murderous jabs of her index finger.

"Pick up the phone RIGHT NOW!!!!" she says emphatically into the receiver. "WHERE are you???"

Then apparently the person on the other end answers.

The patient says, "I just got the biggest shock of my life. They told me I have a sexually transmitted infection and there's no way I got it from anyone else but YOU."

Pause as the person on the other end speaks.

Then the patient interjects, "No, you SAW my test results. I showed YOU mine and you KNOW I was clean. I haven't been with anyone but you in the last 2 years. WHERE did I get it from? From YOUR contaminated ass!"

Tell it to him, girl! Notify his contaminated ass!

No comments: